“If eyes are the windows to our souls, then windows are the eyes into the soul of a house.”
~ Rose Tarlow
How are the “eyes into your house’s soul” looking these days? Got any crow’s feet in the corners? Any bags underneath? Starting to sag or look a little droopy? Well, this blog isn’t about how to make your eyes look less puffy; it’s really about windows!
Windows are a critical element of both your home’s curbside appearance as well as its energy efficiency, but unfortunately, windows can also be one of the last things many homeowners consider replacing. The fact of the matter is that all products have a timetable beyond which they are no longer truly effective, and that includes windows. Obviously, you want to make the most out of your current windows’ lifespan, but you also don’t want to wait until your windows get to the point that they’re compromising the condition of your home. How do you know when it’s time to look at getting a new set of “eyes” for your house or business?
How Do I Know When My Windows Need Replacing?
Some home improvement “experts” like to say that the best windows are the ones you’ve already got; you just need to insulate them better. While there’s certainly something to be said for the benefits of adding more weather stripping and insulation to your old windows, the reality is that nothing is made to last forever. Eventually, windows do wear out and need replacing, just as you eventually need to replace your roof, your car, etc. Here are seven telltale signs to look for:
- Windows Jamming and Sticking – As windows age; they can develop some balance issues which result in jamming or sticking. Infiltration of moisture over time can lead to swelling, rot, and rust, all of which can contribute to making windows increasingly harder to open and shut. If you’ve tried lubricating the window tracks, but you’re still having problems with swollen or unbalanced windows, it may be time to consider windows replacement.
- I Feel A Draft! – If you detect a noticeable draft around your windows even when they’re closed, that means moisture may be getting in, and it also means your HVAC system is having to work harder than necessary. Adding weather stripping or caulk around your windows can help alleviate some drafts, but if that doesn’t completely fix the problem, then you probably have some deeper issues going on with your windows themselves.
- Condensation on or Inside Your Windows – If you see “sweat” on your windows or notice some clouding between your window panes, even on cold days, then that can mean that your window glazing and gas fill are starting to break down. And if moisture is finding its way inside your window, that means it’s also likely finding its way inside your home or business.
- Did You Hear That? – If you’re starting to notice that outside noises like traffic, dogs barking, kids playing, etc. are becoming easier to hear inside your home, that likely means your windows are starting to lose their insulating properties. This is another sign that it may be time to consider windows replacement.
- These Are Some Old Windows – If your home was built before 1992 and your windows have never been replaced, they are probably not very energy-efficient. The ENERGY STAR® labeling program didn’t begin until 1992, and many older windows are missing out on modern glazing and low-E glass technologies. Choosing to replace your windows now can help prevent more UV rays from infiltrating, keep the internal temperature of your home more constant, and ultimately reduce your energy usage and lower your monthly power bill.
- Are Your Windows Hard to Clean? – They say it’s best to give your windows a thorough inside-and-outside cleaning at least once a year, if not more often. However, older windows that aren’t designed to lift out of their tracks can be especially hard to clean on the outside, especially on levels that are above the ground floor. Choosing to replace your older windows with a newer double-hung design makes cleaning window exteriors MUCH easier. Just tilt the sash inwards, and you can clean your windows from inside your home – no more having to get on a rickety ladder for windows spring cleaning!
- Damaged or Broken Windows – Maybe this one goes without saying, but the most obvious sign that it’s time to replace your windows is when you have windows or frames that have become visibly broken or cracked. At this point, window repairs are not a practical option, and the longer you wait to replace them, the more negative impacts you’ll continue to see around your home or business.
Advantages of Window Replacement
We’ve touched on many of these above, but let’s sum up just a few benefits that go along with choosing to replace your windows now:
- Better UV Protection Natural light is a great thing, but too many UV rays cause premature fading of your home’s interior.
- More Energy Efficient Choosing replacement windows with better insulation technologies is one of the most cost-effective home improvement investments you can make. Over time, your new windows can pay for themselves through your savings in energy costs.
- Easier to Maintain Modern window designs include greater durability and easier-to-clean functionality that older windows just can’t provide.
- More Safe and Secure A broken window is an open invitation for an intruder to enter your home. And even if your windows aren’t broken, newer replacement windows come with more available safety and security features, including materials like tempered glass or laminated glass that are less likely to shatter and splinter if an accidental breakage occurs.
- Added Noise Reduction Modern windows come with more noise-reduction technologies than ever before, including laminated glass, triple-pane windows, or even specially-designed sound control glass. If you live near a major highway or airport or are just in a neighborhood that can get a little loud, being able to make your living space more peaceful and quiet is an investment worth making.
- Increase Your Home’s Value If you have plans to resell your home or would just like to increase its overall value, replacing older windows is a wise investment to make.
- Boost Your Curb Appeal Even if you’ve made several other home improvements, old or unsightly windows can sometimes be a deal-breaker for home shoppers. Remember that windows are the eyes into a house’s soul, and if your windows don’t have curb appeal to prospective buyers, they may never notice the other attractive features of your home.
Which Windows Should I Choose?
The good news here is that you’ve got options – there are now more window replacement material choices than ever. Of course, not all windows are made the same, either. Make sure you weigh the pros and cons of the different options you’re considering before choosing the right window for you, your family, and your business.
Apart from traditional wooden framing, windows also come in vinyl, composite, aluminum, and steel frame options (among others), each having its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages. And there are many, many window pane options, including low-E glass, UV-protection glass, dual-pane, triple-pane, and many specialty glazing options for ease of cleaning, increased insulating capabilities, greater durability, and more.
Why You Should Choose Skywalker Roofing for Your Windows Replacement
No matter which windows you opt to go with, choosing the right materials and products are incredibly important. The pros at Skywalker Roofing would be glad to come out for a FREE home consultation to inspect your current windows and help you explore all your options. We also take the time to listen to you, and we can help you find the right window replacement solution that suits both your needs AND your budget.
But why Skywalker Roofing? Isn’t that a roofing company? Yes, we do roofs, but that’s not all we do! Our staff is trained and equipped to provide the best professional installation services for windows, skylights, and siding, too! And let’s be honest – while choosing the right replacement windows is important, it’s even MORE important that you choose the right local contractor who is best-suited to provide you the best quality of workmanship! Poorly-executed installations are the #1 cause of problems down the road. If you’re looking for an award-winning, manufacturer-authorized, trusted local contractor for your home or commercial window replacement needs, look no farther than Skywalker Roofing!
Skywalker Roofing is a top-rated contractor serving residents and businesses in both North Carolina and southern Virginia, and we pride ourselves on providing the highest level of personalized attention to each and every customer with each and every service we offer. We never sacrifice quality for quantity. Skywalker Roofing has received numerous local and national awards, and we’re happy to carry a BBB Rating of A+. Having served thousands of satisfied customers in NC and VA, we welcome the opportunity to show you why Skywalker Roofing is the BEST contractor for the job! Give us a call today at ☎ (336) 338-8620, and let’s start working on giving your house the very best set of “eyes” for letting its soul shine through!