Should I Repair or Replace My Residential Roof?
Maybe your roof has seen a few seasons, and it may be starting to show signs that it needs a little TLC. You know you probably need to do something, but you’re not sure what. Some folks may say that you should just replace the whole roof, while others might tell you that a few repairs are all it needs. Who’s right? Who should you listen to?
The answer really depends upon a combination of factors, including the age of your roof, the materials used to cover it, and your roof’s specific condition. Read on to learn more!
Things You Should Check to Assess Your Roof’s Condition
Whether or not you’re currently experiencing any leaks or other symptoms of roof issues, you should assess your roof’s condition at least once a year. The earlier you catch any potential problems, the more options you’ll have for addressing them. Here are a few things of which you should be mindful:
- Damaged or Missing Shingles: Look for shingles that are warped, curled, broken, split, loose, or that have broken seals at connection points. Also, look for shingles that display excessive loss of granules. These are all indications that your roof needs some attention. And if you notice that you’re actually missing some shingles (perhaps after a strong storm blows through), you really don’t need to sit on that. Exposed underlayment or decking can quickly lead to roof compromise, which can result in all sorts of problems.
- Exposed Nails: Look for roofing nails that are exposed, loose, or that have popped up. These are sources of potential leaks and may indicate problems with the roofing materials themselves. Alternatively, pop-up nails can also result when roofing materials aren’t properly seated in the first place during installation.
- Damaged or Missing Flashing: Don’t just look at the shingles and nails (or whatever comprises your top layer of roofing); pay attention to the rest of the roofing system, too. If you notice metal flashing that is missing, loose, corroded, or rusted, that’s something that needs addressing. Sometimes flashing can loosen when enough caulk wasn’t used to seal it properly at installation.
- Chimneys, Vent Pipes, Skylights: Damaged or cracked chimneys or chimney flashing can result in leakage problems. Cracks in and around vent pipes and skylights are also known to cause leaks. Sometimes these items just need replacing; in other cases, a good treatment of sealant may be all that is needed.
- Moss or Mildew: If you notice moss or mildew buildup on your roofing, that means moisture is likely being retained as well, which can lead to rot underneath. It’s best to remove moss and then check the condition of the roofing that was covered by moss.
- Gutters and Downspouts: Gutters and downspouts that don’t flow properly can lead to standing water on or near your roof’s surfaces, which can also lead to roof rot and leaks. Regularly-scheduled maintenance of gutters and downspouts is the best way to prevent such problems and help prolong the life of your roof.
- Weather Damage: Obviously you should check your roof after a strong storm, but the prolonged effects of sun, rain, wind, snow, sleet, and hail take a toll on roofs, too. The weight of accumulated snow and ice can damage a roof as well, so it’s always a good idea to inspect your roof once Spring arrives and all the frozen stuff melts.
- Interior Signs: It’s always a good idea to check the interior surfaces closest to your roof (like attics and ceilings), as well as any areas that directly access your roof (like chimneys, vents, and exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom) for signs of leaks or improper ventilation. Any indications of water leaks on the inside of your home are almost a certain sign of roof issues that need addressing on the outside!
The Next Step: Have a Professional Roof Inspection
If you discover something about your roof that may need some attention when you do your exterior/interior walkaround, the next best step is to schedule a professional inspection with a licensed local roofing contractor. A reputable contractor will be happy to provide an initial home consultation at no charge.
Professional Routine Roofing Maintenance Is a Wise Investment
But what if you don’t notice any obvious damage or issues when you do your walkaround? You’re good now, right? Not necessarily. Unless you happen to be a certified roof inspector, there’s a good chance you could miss something that only a properly-trained eye would notice. Even if your roof seems fine to you, it’s still advisable to have a professional come take a look; better still, partner with a roofing company that provides a routine roofing maintenance package. A modest investment in preventive roof maintenance now can save you lots of money and frustration down the road! Letting a professional service your roof also means you don’t have to risk navigating a ladder or taking a nasty fall from high places… ain’t nobody got time for that!
Now, Back to the Original Question – Roof Repair, or Roof Replacement?
Now that you’ve inspected your roof and/or had it professionally inspected, what’s the move? Should you choose residential roofing repair, or should you replace? We’ve given you some tips of what to look for when assessing your roof, but making a call about repairs or replacement still comes down to the age of your roof, its specific condition, the roofing materials used (metal roofing requires a different approach than shingles, for example), and the workmanship quality of your original installation. Many roofing contractors will automatically steer you towards getting an entire roof replacement when sometimes all you may really need is a skilled repair. You should look for an honest, reputable roofing contractor who can help you objectively assess all your options, including offering repair services if feasible.
Why You Should Choose Skywalker Roofing for All Your Roofing Services
Skywalker Roofing is the name you can trust for all your residential roofing needs in the NC Piedmont Triad, Piedmont Triangle, and Roanoke, VA areas. Nobody beats Skywalker Roofing’s workmanship, attention to detail, and level of customer service. We’re very proud of the fact that our customers give us a 99% approval rating! We treat each and every customer as if they are our ONLY customer, and we’ve been doing business that way since we started back in 2003.
Another thing that sets Skywalker Roofing apart is the fact that we don’t just provide top-quality roofing installations; we also offer comprehensive repair services. Just give us a call at (336) 627-5596 and we’ll be happy to schedule a time to come out and do a FREE assessment of your roof. Once we’ve finished our inspection, we’ll then sit down with you to share our objective findings, and we’ll also take the time to LISTEN to you. We’ll provide estimates for both repair and replacement options, and we can make expert recommendations based on our training and experience, but then we’ll let you decide for yourself. We’re about educating and helping our customers, not about strong-arming people into a decision they’re not ready to make.
Skywalker Roofing is your BEST CHOICE for residential roofing in the NC Piedmont Triad, Piedmont Triangle, and Roanoke, VA areas. Check us out at Skywalker Roofing, look at what our customers have to say about us, and then give us a chance to SHOW you why Skywalker is THE best local contractor for all your residential roofing, commercial roofing, and other related services!