Latest market and Types of Residential Roofing Trends You Will See This Year
Over the past 10 years, roofing experts have adopted some pretty amazing technologies for their work. Now, manufacturers, operations all have gone digital. Automated machines have made their job a lot easier, and the volume of work for roofing contractors has grown.
Most constructors use modern roofing material for better protection. For water tightness and water resistance, it is important that these materials are installed with perfection. You must research from your end before going for one of the various options available in the market. Let’s review some of the most popular roofing materials available for your home:
- Single Layer Membrane Roof: It is a modern advanced roofing technology, and most business owners choose it for commercial construction. It is technically known as elastomeric or plastomeric roofing membrane (depending on the material):
- Neoprene (polychloroprene):
- EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer)
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
- Chlorinated polyethylene and chlorosulfonated polyethylene sheets
- Polymer-modified bitumens
Membrane roofs can be attached in different ways. They can be fully adhered to the roof deck, partially loose laid or held down with river rock ballast. Of all these types EPDM, synthetic rubber is the most common flat roof material for residential and commercial roofing both.
These roof materials are installed as thin sheets which are 0.030 to 0.060 inches thick. Made of synthetic polymer, their flexibility and elasticity can handle temperature changes and are better than build-up roofs.
- Modified Bitumen Roofing: Modified bitumen cap sheet roofing is created by using proven technology of buildup roofing and adding polymer reinforced roof wear layers or cap sheets.
These roofs were developed in the 1960’s as a replacement technology for BUR (Build Up Roofs). The polymer attached to these cap sheets provide flexibility and elasticity in low-temperature.
- Buildup Roofs: Buildup roof is considered grandfather of roofing. Buildup roofs have solved the problem of low-pitched roofs for ages, something that asphalt shingles could never handle.
Buildup roofs are fixed using multi-layers of a special type of roofing felt. This felt is asphalt stuffed and set in bitumen. Roofers apply it using a hot swab.
The hot applied asphalt tar pitch mixes with the bitumen-soaked roof felt and create a solid roof membrane. The roof felt tar layering is repeated in overlapping layers until the assembly is two to four plies thick.
A wear surface of crushed stone granules is usually applied to the top layer of hot tar to protect the full roof assembly from UV light and weather.
From the past two decades, the construction industry has seen many helpful changes including digital records and 3D imaging systems, smart construction software and drone technology making it incredibly easy for roofing contractors to give your home a new look and a full proof roof!
And, in terms of roofs, here are our prediction for top roofing trends which you will see this year:
- Gutter: Not so interesting roofing addition We already know that there’s nothing glamorous about gutter, yet we can’t ignore their practicality! Gutters do protect your home’s foundation by keeping rainfall away from it but if you have one- gutter can also help collect rainwater for you to use later. Yes, you read it right!
You can store rainwater in rain barrels, the water can be used for many things during dry months. Don’t you think it’s a fantastic way of conserving water and saving your water bills?
- The popularity of Asphalt shingles in roofing materials.
Asphalt shingles have always been the first popular choice of most American when it comes at choosing a roofing material. And, why shouldn’t it be since they get an affordable roofing material which adds aesthetic value to their home and is easy to install too? As usual, the trend of asphalt shingles for roofing doesn’t seem like breaking this year!
- Solar Panels: There are significant improvements in solar panels technologies and people have gone crazy about the benefits of using solar energy right away!
For many people, their energy bills have become a headache making the solar panel a fantastic option. Fortunately, there are state and federal loans available to people who install solar panels on their property, you should check for your city may also be offering financial incentives.
- Unique color and theme choices:
Lighter colors: Traditional metal roofs come in dark gray, black or even dark brown. But most homeowners preferring brighter colors this year. These colors can dramatically change the outer look of your home. Since lighter colors reflect heat, they can also reduce your utility bills.
Natural hues: Owners are also going for color shades like red, green and blue. Most likely you will see these shades trending this year. They give a softer, more subtle appeal to your building aesthetic.
Warm tones: Warm tones are another popular trend in metal roofing this year. It goes beyond colors like taupe, sand, and bronze. They are useful in giving your home exterior a robust look. You can use shades of green like olives and moss, warm reds like brick or rust.
As you can see that installing these flat roof materials, need high skills and high precision. Do you think giving your roof in the hands of an amateur roofer is a safe idea? Who knows, perhaps, your home truly needs certified flat roofing contractors. Someone like Skywalker Roofing Company.
Whether you need a low-slope flat roof construction or want to get an existing roof repaired, we are your one-stop destination.