A Sound Roof Is Essential to the Health and Safety of Your Home
When a roof is sound and solid, it helps to keep your home cozy, comfortable, and dry. But if your roof isn’t performing properly, it can put more of a strain on your heating & air costs. Or worse, it can allow moisture to infiltrate, putting your personal health at risk, and leading to potential costly damage to your home’s infrastructure. The earlier you can catch any issues with your roof that may need attention, the better off you’ll be. Early detection gives you more viable options for roof repair, versus having to fork out the money for a complete roof replacement.
Can’t I Just Check My Roof Myself?
You sure can, and it’s a good idea to do so – as long as you have the ability to climb a ladder and safely take a closer look at your roof. But please, if you do decide to climb a ladder or try to get on the roof yourself, remember SAFETY FIRST! Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure your ladder is in good condition, and that you start by placing it on a level surface.
- Wear closed-toe shoes with good traction; ladders and roofs are no places for flip-flops or sandals!
- Don’t try and play “lone ranger”; make sure you have someone there to hold the ladder while you climb, and to stay with you while you’re having a look around.
- Don’t try to inspect your roof while it’s wet or icy outside.
- If you plan to try and get on top of the roof, we strongly recommend investing in a safety harness and tying yourself in to something sturdy on your roof. The cost of a safety harness and some good climbing rope is much cheaper than the price of an ER visit for a broken bone, or worse!
What Should I Look For?
It’s advisable to assess your roof’s general condition at least once a year. If this is a task you’re comfortable taking on for yourself, here are a few things of which you should take note:
- Obvious Leaks If you know your roof is leaking somewhere due to the presence of interior moisture infiltration, then obviously you’ll want to try and pinpoint the source of the leak, if you can. If water is getting to your home’s interior, then there’s very likely a roof issue that needs addressing.
- Shingle Condition If you have a shingle roof, check for any shingles that are warped, damaged, loose, or missing. that have broken seals at connection points. If you notice any exposed underlayment or decking, it’s definitely time to take some action.
- Granule Loss If your shingles have lost a lot of granules, then their ability to protect your roof may be compromised. Check the gutters, and check your downspout output areas on the ground to see how many granules your roof is shedding.
- Gutter Flow Speaking of gutters and downspouts, it’s always a good idea to make sure your gutters are clear of debris anytime you’re examining your roof. Clogged gutters lead to water backup, which can ultimately result in damage to your roof as well as damage to other areas of your building’s infrastructure.
- Visible Nails Roofing nails that are exposed or have popped up can be a potential source of leaks. This can also be an indication that your roofing materials may not have been installed properly the first time.
- Previous Repairs If you’ve ever had any previous repair work done on your roof, of if you’ve done any yourself at some point, it’s always a good idea to recheck those areas any time you’re giving your roof a once-over.
But What If I Miss Something?
Honestly, you might. Doing a regular self-check of your roof is certainly a good practice to follow, if you can do so safely. But the fact still remains that you could check your roof any number of times and still miss something, especially if you don’t have any specific training and experience with roof inspections. YouTube can’t teach you everything! Your ability to climb a ladder and get on a roof doesn’t necessarily equate to an ability to see everything that needs to be examined. What to do then? Schedule a professional inspection with a licensed, local roofing professional, of course!
Professional Roof Inspections Really Are Best
Let’s say you do perform a roof check on your own and notice some shingle granules in your gutters, as well as more granules on the ground near your downspout exits. How many are too many? Unless you happen to be a certified roof inspector, you probably won’t know the answer to that question! The trained eye of a professional will also be much better suited for finding broken seals, examining the condition of your metal flashing, and inspecting roof features like chimneys, skylights, and vent pipes. A professional inspector will also know how to examine your roofing underlayment, attic and other areas you wouldn’t think to look, or wouldn’t know how to assess even if you did. Many reputable roofing contractors will even come out to provide an initial inspection and consultation at no charge! Remember, a small investment in preventive roof inspection and maintenance now can potentially save you from having to spend a lot of money and suffer a lot of frustration later!
You Can Trust the Pros at Skywalker Roofing
Skywalker Roofing provides comprehensive roofing services, both residential and commercial, for the entire NC Piedmont Triad, Piedmont Triangle, Charlotte Metro, and Roanoke, VA areas. Nobody takes better care of you than Skywalker, and that includes our professional roof inspection, repair, and replacement services. Many area contractors will try to con you into getting a full roof replacement when sometimes all that’s really needed is a timely roof repair.
At Skywalker, we pride ourselves on treating each customer with honesty and fairness, and we’ll never recommend anything to you that isn’t in your best interests. Give us a call at (336) 627-5596 and let us schedule a time to come out and do a FREE assessment of your roof. After conducting a thorough inspection, we’ll sit down with you to talk about what we discovered, and we’ll also make sure to LISTEN to you and your particular needs.
We’re proud to say that we carry a 99% approval rating from our customers, and we think you’ll like the way we treat you, too. Check us out at Skywalker Roofing, take a look at some of our customer reviews, and then give us a chance to show you the Skywalker difference!