Think a roof is just a bunch of shingles, tile, metal, or other outer material? Think again! There are actually many important layers to a complete roof system. We break it all down for you in this helpful infographic.
Here’s just a taste of what you’ll learn about the various layers which combine to protect your home from heat, humidity, and the various threats of nature:
- Framing – This includes the roof trusses that sit atop your house and support the weight of all the materials that go into your total roof structure.
- Insulation – Placed inside the attic to reduce the loss of heated air rising up from within your home, and also to prevent against the intrusion of cold winter air.
- Decking – This is the layer which sits on top of the roof trusses, usually consisting of plywood. The underlayment and upper roofing material is mounted on top of the decking.
- Underlayment – Usually comprised of felt or fiberglass paper, this layer covers the entire roof deck. It’s water-resistant and prevents liquid water from penetrating, but it does allow moisture to escape.
- Ridge Caps or Vents – These features are at the very top of your roof. They’re covered by roofing material with a built-in gap that allows warm, moist air to escape from the attic.
Ready to learn more? Check out the complete infographic from your friends at Skywalker Roofing! Skywalker is a team of elite professionals roofing serving the NC Piedmont Triad, Piedmont Triangle, Charlotte Metro, and Roanoke, VA areas. Interested in experiencing the Skywalker roofing difference for yourself? Check out our website, or just give us a call at +1 (336) 627-5596